Why We Participated in the Naming Program
April 8, 2015
By The National Board
Safelite Serenity Rooftop Garden at the Columbus Ronald McDonald House
One day, a mom and a dad will walk out their child’s hospital room with heavy hearts and seek solitude together in the Safelite Serenity Rooftop Garden of the Columbus Ronald McDonald House. There, dozens of engraved pavers will line the walkway and represent to those parents that a community cares about them and their child.
This is why The National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors is honored to be one of hundreds of donors who support the selfless cause of the Columbus Ronald McDonald House through participation in its rooftop garden paver program, and are truly grateful that such a charity exists for seriously ill children and their families.
The National Board has been tied to the good works of the Columbus Ronald McDonald House through the volunteerism of its employees and collecting items for the Wish List during the holidays. Additionally, in 2010, Nationwide Children’s Hospital donated its 40,900-pound watertube boiler to the National Board to be used as part of the training program the organization offers to pressure equipment inspectors from around the world.
About the National Board: Headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, since 1919, The National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors is a non-profit organization that promotes greater safety to life and property through uniformity in the construction, installation, repair, maintenance, and inspection of pressure equipment. Learn more at www.nationalboard.org.
Summer of Service
June 18, 2014
By Megan Koester
Volunteering at the Golf Classic is a great way to give back to RMHC this summer
Summer is a time when people are looking for fun things to do outside the House. As a mom of two kids, we are always looking for a new activity as a family. While my little guys are still a bit too young to take on the town, I have found myself in the midst of a lot of mommy conversations centered around options for the summer. People plan for camps, trips to the zoo and days at the pool but still look for more things to do to make memories during their time together. Recently, I have had several moms ask about opportunities to get involved at The Ronald McDonald House over the summer. The House provides a great opportunity to do activities as a family for the right reasons. Here are ten ways you can get involved at the Columbus Ronald McDonald House and add a little bit of service to the season.
- Collect pop tabs – Pull the tabs off of those cans of pop or soup and save them for the House. When you have collected a bag or two or three, bring them to the House and drop them off. We recycle them and use the money to help fund our operations.
- Snack Stop – Come to the house and make grab and go snacks for our families. You can create an assembly line of nonperishable things and put together snack bags or you can come and bake some treats that families can grab to take with them on long days at the hospital. Email Kate.Ziegler@rmhc-centralohio.org to get scheduled for a baking group!
- Lemonade Stand – Hot weather creates the need for a good cold glass of lemonade. Set up a lemonade stand in your neighborhood or at a local store and raise money for RMHC.
- RMHC Joe Mortellaro Golf Classic – Join us on July 14th as we host the largest golf tournament in Central Ohio. You can come and golf with us on one of four courses in Dublin – here is our golf packet link to register. and if that little white ball scares you, please come and volunteer to make the day a success!
- Hold a wish list drive – Work with your neighbors, friends and community groups to hold a wish list drive for the House. In order to make our house a home we look to our friends to help collect items that we need on a daily basis for our families. Items such as Lysol wipes, sandwich bags and more can be found on our website. Try asking people to bring an item to your house for your next cook out.
- Start training – Join Team RMHC and train to run or walk the Columbus Marathon and Half Marathon this fall. We will provide the training schedule, fundraising ideas and a lot of team spirit to help you train for this event. The entire family can get involved with cheering and fundraising while the adults take on the miles.
- Test out our newly renovated kitchen – Sign up to make a meal for families staying at The Ronald McDonald House. You can access the calendar here. You can come make breakfast, lunch or dinner in our brand new kitchen.
- Volunteer for the Food Truck Festival – On August 15th and 16th, Columbus will host the Food Truck Festival at The Columbus Commons. Come out and try out the amazing food served by all of these food trucks. RMHC is the benefiting charity and we are looking for adults to volunteer and help us with ticket sales and beer booths. Email Kate.Ziegler@rmhc-centralohio.org to sign up to volunteer for this fun event!
- House Projects – Schedule a time to come to the House and help us with projects as we get ready to open our expansion. Just like your home, these projects change daily and may include anything from making beds in the new wing to helping us clean and reorganize a few of our new areas in the house.
- Dig It for the House – Come join us on August 23rd for sand volleyball! Adults can register for our Dig It for the House Sand Volleyball Tournament at Flannigan’s. This is a great way to gather friends and have some fun on a summer Saturday. Teams register by ability and have the opportunity to fundraise for a spot in the VIP Lounge!